Makes 20 portions
- 4 Medium onions, chopped
- 50ml Vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoon Salt
- 1kg Carrots, sliced thinly
- 2kg Frozen sweetcorn, defrosted
- 250g Dried apricots, soaked overnight in 500ml orange juice, or for 1 hour in hot water
- 3L Vegetable bouillion
- 250ml Orange juice (use the juice from soaking the apricots, topped up to 250ml if needed)
- Sweat the onion in the veg oil with the salt till soft, about 10 minutes.
- Add the carrot pieces, cook for 10 minutes.
- Add corn, apricots and the bouillon, cook till vegetables are tender- 10-15 minutes.
- Blend till smooth. Add the 250ml orange juice. Heat through before serving.
Tips and variations
- You could replace the corn with 1kg/5-6 yellow peppers. Remove seeds from peppers, then dice and cook with the onions.
- Pieces of cooked ham or crispy bacon would make a nice addition to the sweet soup.
- Adding apricots and orange juice increases the iron content of the dish