Makes 20 portions
- 400g or 4 medium onions, chopped
- 50ml veg oil
- 10g or 2 teaspoons salt
- 1kg carrots, grated
- 500g red lentils, washed
- 1kg canned chopped tomatoes
- 1kg red peppers, seeds removed, roasted in the oven till soft
- 250g dried apricots, soaked overnight in 500ml orange juice, or for 1 hour in hot water
- 2.5 litres vegetable bouillon
- 250ml orange juice (use the juice from soaking the apricots, topped up to 250ml if needed)
- Cook the onion in the veg oil with the salt till soft, about 10 minutes.
- Add the grated carrot and cook a further 10 minutes.
- Add the lentils, tomatoes, peppers and apricots and bouillon and bring to the boil.
- Simmer till the vegetables are tender- 10-15 minutes.
- Blend till smooth. Add the 250ml orange juice. Heat through before serving.
Tips and Variations
- For a change, you can use grated butternut squash or turnip to replace the carrots.
- Adding apricots and orange juice increases the iron content of the dish.