Makes 25 portions
- 100ml Olive oil
- 500g Onions, sliced
- 20g Garlic [6 cloves garlic, chopped, or 3 teaspoons garlic puree]
- 5g Salt
- 3kg Courgettes, cut into small thin slices
- 2L Water
- 500g Spinach, washed
- 1 bunch Basil, mint or other soft herb (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large pan and sweat the onions and garlic with the salt, about 10 minutes. Add the courgette and cook till soft.
- Add the water or stock and bring to the boil. Add the spinach and fresh herbs (if using) and blend immediately - the leaves will cook quickly in the hot stock.
- Add more liquid if needed- start with less because the courgettes and spinach contain a lot of water and can make a thin soup.
Tips and variations
- Calling a soup by its colour can be fun for children, encouraging them to try vegetables they may usually turn their nose up at.
- Try asking children to identify what ingredient/s in the soup give it its colour