Makes 20 portions
- 1.2kg Organic or free range chicken
- 85g Butter
- 85g Plain flour
- 500ml Semi-skimmed milk
- 500ml Water
- 15g Chicken bouillon
- 250 Plain flour
- 200 Wholemeal flour
- 250g Butter
- pinch Salt
- Disolve boullion in hot water to make stock, gently poach the fresh chicken in the stock, retain the cooking liquid for the sauce.
- Melt butter and add flour, cook until a sandy texture, gradually add warm milk and the reserved cooking liquid to form a sauce.
- Add the gently poached chicken, taste then adjust seasoning if required.
- Rub butter into flour and salt, a small amount of cold water may be added to bind pastry.
- Roll pastry and place on top of pie, glaze with egg wash, bake in moderate oven for 35 – 40 mins.
Tips and variations
Try adding leeks or parsley to this dish for extra colour, flavour an nutrition.